Friday, August 27, 2004

Henry Fonda was still throwing up before each stage performance, even when he was seventy-five. In other words, fear doesn't go away. The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day." ~ Steven Pressfield, 21st century writer

Butterflies...

...not the ones that flutter around in your garden but the ones that flutter around in your stomach, ones that my daughter has been experiencing this week as she enters Jr. High. Though she hasn’t changed schools (her school goes from Kindergarten to 8th Grade) she is now changing rooms for each subject and this has caused her a lot of anxiety.

Yesterday I received a call from the school nurse saying that she had a slight temperature and an upset stomach. Since she has been battling a cold since returning from The Wisconsin Dells I gave her the benefit of doubt and picked her up. I quickly came to the conclusion that she was not sick, only suffering from a very nervous stomach.

This morning, I was just about to leave for work when my doorbell rang (a frantic ring I might add). Opening the door I found her standing there (looking rather upset) with her dad. Apparently her dad gave in to her claims of being sick and left it for me to handle. After calming her down I explained to her that she was not really sick, what she was experiencing was something that people refer to as the butterflies, an uneasy feeling in the abdomen caused by nervous anticipation. She seemed to except this explanation and after drinking a glass of water decided to go to school. I’m pleased to say that she did survive the day.

Since I don’t have a home computer at the moment (sigh) I’m afraid I will not be able to get online to read my favorite blogs or post anything until Monday. I hope that everyone has a great weekend.

Sláinte!

|