Monday, August 09, 2004

M. Night Shyamalan's
The Village

Yesterday I went to see the movie The Village and initially I felt a big letdown. I was expecting to see a movie about a small town, frightened by mystical spirits in the nearby woods. But half way through the film I realized this wasn't the case. In an attempt to try and conceal the plot, the previews made us form our concept before the movie began. I must admit my own preconceptions about what I was hoping to see and what actually unfolded disappointed me. But after leaving and replaying the movie in my mind I really began to like the story. In fact, I can’t wait for it to come out on DVD so I can add it to my M. Night Shyamalan collection.

I really don’t want to give away too much of the plot here. All that I will say is The Village is a really compelling story and will keep you thinking for days to come. The characters are enthralling, the love story is idealistic and the twist is what is nagging at the very back of your mind since you saw the first shot of the trees and sky. M. Night Shyamalan's plot is brilliant and his vision is great. Not to mention the amazing performance from Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron Howard’s daughter!).

When I was leaving the theater I heard several people say to each other that the movie "sucked." Those who dislike the movie use only the surface of the film to do so, rather than going deep into the writing style and the cinematography. If you went into this movie expecting to be scared out of your seat or to be overwhelmed with special effects just stop it! This movie has substance, it is definitely a thoughtful movie.

Don't listen to others about how the movie "sucked" or to me for that matter. See the movie for yourself and develop you own opinion about it. Just remember, if you're expecting to turn your brain off and just ride some rollercoaster ride, The Village may not be the movie for you. Go see Alien Vs. Predator (which starts this week) instead.

|