Thursday, December 23, 2004

Christmas Lists


There is a list of friends I know, all written in a book
And every year at Christmas time, I go and take a look.

And that is when I realize that these names are a part,
Not of the book they are written in, but of my very heart.

For each name stands for someone who has
Touched my life sometime,
And in that meeting they’ve become etched
Forever in my mind.

I really feel that I’m composed of each and every name,
And while you may not be aware of feeling quite the same,
My life is so much better than it was before you came.

For once you have known someone, the years cannot erase
The memory of a pleasant word, or of a friendly face.
So never think my Christmas cards are just
A mere routine,
Of names upon a list, to be forgotten in between.
For when I send a Christmas card that is addressed to you,
It is because you’re on the list that I’m indebted to.
And whether I’ve known you for many years or
Even just a few,
In some ways you have had a part in shaping things I do.
So every year when Christmas comes, I just realize anew
The biggest gift that God can give is knowing
Friends like you.

~ Author Unknown

|