Friday, May 12, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a holiday celebrated in honor of mothers and can be traced back to spring celebrations in ancient Greece honoring Rhea, Mother of Gods.

Many countries celebrate this holiday but on different dates. Since 1600's Mothering Sunday has been celebrated in England on the 4th Sunday of Lenten Season. Servants used to be encouraged to go home for the day and be with their mothers. In The United States Mother's day became an official holiday in 1915 and is celebrated on the second Sunday of May.

Children usually take on the responsibility for the chores and give presents, flowers, cards and a day off to their mothers.

~ As I Look Back ~
As I look back on my life
I find myself wondering.....
Did I remember to thank you
for all that you have done for me?
For all of the times you were by my side
to help me celebrate my successes
and accept my defeats?
Or for teaching me the value of hard work,
good judgment, courage, and honesty?
I wonder if I've ever thanked you for the simple things...
The laughter, smiles, and quiet times we've shared?
If I have forgotten to express my gratitude
For any of these things,
I am thanking you now....and I am hoping that you've known all along,
how very much you are loved and appreciated.
Author Unknown.

|